The US Sailing Small Boat Level 1 Sailing Instructor Certification Course is designed to provide sailing instructors with information on how to teach more safely, effectively, and creatively.
The goal of the program is to produce highly qualified instructors, thereby reducing risk exposure for sailing programs. Topics covered in the course include: classroom and on-the-water teaching techniques, risk management, safety issues, lesson planning, creative activities, ethical concerns, and sports physiology and psychology.
This is a 4-day, 40-hour course. Attendance at all 40 hours is mandatory. Absence from any portion of the course excludes the instructor candidate from certification.
MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT
All candidates must have reached their 16th birthday within the calendar year that the course is being held in. Candidates under 18 years of age who complete the course will be designated as a Sailing Assistant until their 18th birthday.
Below are some of the primary prerequisites for the Level 1 Course. A full list is available during the registration process.
- Sailing experience in small boats, such as prams, dinghies, multi-hulls and small keelboats. Level 1 instructors must be able to sail any small boat sufficiently.
- Experience operating a safety boat. This course is evaluative: Powerboat skills are tested, not taught, during this course.
- Ability to swim 50 yards both with and without life jacket.
- US Sailing Individual, College or Family Membership (youth membership is not applicable and only one instructor is allowed per family membership)
- National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) Safe Boating certification. Candidates who do not hold a NASBLA approved Safe Boating Certificate will not be allowed entrance. Online courses that are not NASBLA approved will not be accepted. BoatUS is one provider of online courses. Click here to see all available Boat US courses. You can also earn your certification at one of US Sailing’s Safe Powerboat Handling Courses or see a current list of approved providers. Candidates holding a current USCG full or limited Master’s or OUPV license are exempt from this requirement.
- *** NEW! US Sailing Teaching & Coaching Fundamentals (Starting 9/15/19): Developed in conjunction with the US Olympic Committee (USOC), this course gives the building blocks of good instructional practices for becoming an effective educator on and off the water. A guide on how to complete the course can be found here and a few Frequently Asked Questions are answered here.
Small Boat Level 1 Instructor Certification is not valid unless accompanied by:
- First Aid and CPR Certification: from the American Red Cross, American Heart Association or and U.S. Coast Guard approved provider. Candidates do not need to complete the CPR/First Aid Training in advance of the Level 1 course, however, a certification will NOT be valid unless accompanied by current First Aid and CPR.
- SAFESPORT: This program, developed by the US Olympic Committee, is required training for all Instructors. This requirement is also being put in place for other National Governing Bodies. This free online training course must be completed every 2 years. Instructor certification is not active unless SafeSport training has been completed.